Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Refugee Camp


Meet Omar. He is one of the 20 children at the refugee camp in Youngsfield. Thanks to the blessings I have received, in fundraising and encouragement, I was able to buy new shoes for all the children at the camp, and a new soccer ball for them as well. Thanks also to Projects Abroad, Theo, and Liz who I met here and helped me get into the camp. Enjoy these beautiful pictures of some truly incredible children.


Watching on as we play the first soccer game together with their new ball. It was the Yougsfield Chiefs vs the Wynberg Warriors and the Kaiser Chiefs won in a shoot out 5-4.

Here is Nick, a good friend from the CFHI program here in Cape Town. He coached the opposing Wynberg Warriors very well but unfortunately we were too strong in the end.


Our keeper staying strong between the pipes.

This is me with my best buddy, Muhammad. It will be a while before he can play soccer with the big boys and girls but he still loves to run around with them.

The South African government took these people in during the xenophobia attacks and after one year left them totally abandoned. They receive no food or proper shelter and sanitation. It is incredible how difficult it is for us even to get into the camp, since the camp managers really do not want people coming in to help. The government really wants nothing to do with these people and now is even forcing them out of the only home they have left at the refugee camp. It is a very complex and serious situation everyone is in right now, from the refugees to the upper camp management.

On another note, I am enjoying my last night in Cape Town and it is sad to think that after such an amazing and educational experience that I must leave. One day I will return to this place for one reason or another. For now, this place has left an everlasting mark on me as a human being and I am greatful for everyone who made it possible. Thank you.

Tomorrow I leave for Vietnam, and I will continue to blog there if the internet is available. The site is catalinovietnam.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment