Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Finally the pictures have arrived!!!


This photo was taken once I settled into my home-stay. Mom you would be proud of me, I established my space and have kept it relatively organized. It is a small room about the size of an large bathroom, but there is enough room for me to sleep in a nice single bed and do my yoga every morning.

This is the Bloukrans Bridge. I believe it is the largest bridge in the southern hemisphere and possibly even the world with a height of about 216m (700ft) to the tip of the arc. This is the home of Face Adrenaline, the company that owns rights to all bungee jumping done from this bridge. The bridge is located on the Garden Route, which is a scenic route through the Western Cape right on the coast of South Africa.

Here I am jumping off the bridge. It is the world highest commercial bungee jump and everyone who jumps the 700ft ties the world record for highest bungee jump. I also have a video of the jump which I will try to post as well. BTW it was well worth the R650 (~USD80).


We went on a game drive at the Bottlierskop Game Reserve during our first weekend in South Africa. We stopped there on our way along the Garden Route which in all took three days. I have seen a giraffe and rhino before but I guess its just different when you see them in Africa.









This picture was actually taken on our game drive, when we were at the top of a mountain overlooking the whole reserve. It was beautiful, but each day and each trip the views get better and better, so I guess it is just one more incredible view of the South African mountainside.




This is actually the view from my bedroom window. There is a primary school which you can see in the foreground and Table Mountain in the background.





During our trip on the Garden Route we stopped at the Knysna Elephant Farm and got to walk side by side to some pretty incredible animals.







This picture was taken before a canopy tour we went on during the Garden Route weekend. We were attached to zip lines and flew across the african forest canopies.





Mama Africa. We found this place in downtown Cape Town that had live african music. They were incredible and played instruments from the conga to the xylophone, and even sang opera-like during their performances.




During the Garden Route trip we stayed at the Wilderness Hotel right on the Indian Ocean. This picture of the sunrise was taken one of the many early mornings we had on our trip.



Just a breathtaking view of the African mountainside.



One of the first days in Cape Town, we went the University of Cape Town to get our ID badges for the hospital. This is a picture from the front steps of the University down to the city. You can see the mountain range in the background.







We went to the Kango Caves which are these million year old caves that are now open for tourism. The lower picture is of me climbing up what they call Devil's Chimney. It is a thin hole in the caves that you must climb up that is literally less that 1ft in diameter.


Last weekend we went winetasting in Stellenbosch and climbed Table Mountain (over 3000ft high). I have pictures coming soon for those as well.



















4 comments:

  1. mikey love the pics! takes lots more and vidd so i can put something together for you! love you and HAPPPYY BIRTHDAYYYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    Happy Birthday a little late! I just got home from a much needed trip, however, I doubt the scenery in Ocean City, MD can compare with that of beautiful South Africa. It looks like you are having an amazing time! Keep the pics coming so I can continue to live vicariously through you! Be safe and God bless!

    Love Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat- Thank you for bring us closer to you by these amazing photos. How long did it take you to make the "leap"? I remember thinking for a while before I did an Australian Repel when I was about your age. I'm so very proud of you an all that you are accomplishing. Cherish every moment.

    Wish that we could've spoken on your Birthday. I'm sick over that. I guess it's something God will have to make up for me someday with you.

    GULL is going well. Boys are having fun and the games for the most part have been competitive and intense. The girls are "steppin up" for your league by taking care of jersey's and adding music (that fit's this age group) throughtout the night. We will post some GULL photos next week.

    Love and God Bless -

    Dad

    ReplyDelete